Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Anticipation and Preparation


Ah...what can I say...I was so thrilled to receive the package from Leeza...I sat right down and opened it, went through all the wonderful handouts and instructions, but was afraid to touch...the book! It looks so perfect, so clean, so full of promise. The covers are canvas boards! My goodness - I haven't really painted in eons. I am not going to say that I will never print and attach, because a lot of my work is mixed media...pen, marker, colored pencil, collage, photoshop...but the covers call for paint. So I've been playing around to reacquaint myself with the feeling of paint before I annoint the book. Compared to my trusty micron pens, it's wild and slippery, messy and fun. I had forgotten how much fun it is! I am sharing the first couple of layers of one experiment. I played with acrylic glazes using a brush and then a sponge. I ripped tissue paper and attached it with some lightly pigmented gel. I'm just trying things out...kind of training for my climb up Everest...all the while letting the ideas come into my mind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leezy said...

Carla, looking good already and it's only your first layer! It's so cool to read the team member's posts and have insight to your thoughts and ideas for the project. Keep it comin' and welcome to Journeys.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Beth Berst said...

Carla,

I had the same feeling at first. I was so afraid to touch the book! You'd swear that I was a surgeon handling a human heart, or a newborn infant, or something tiny and fragile.

It took a little while, but I'm over that now and have begun to paint on the covers. I'll post my progress on that soon!

Can't wait to see what you've done, too!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home