Thursday, January 12, 2006

Journeys: About this project

Good morning,

I'm Leeza. I was inspired to create a travelling book project by another team of four artists that I had seen featured on Drawn! (www.drawn.ca) Their book was one that travelled back and forth between the Atlantic. (Ireland and the USA - check out www.lookatbook.com). I thought, "what a cool idea" and wondered if any of my art friends would be interested in doing something with me of a simialr nature.

HAH!

Before I knew it, I had generated a team of 8 artists including me to put together not one, but 8 books, (how else could we all keep a momento of the project?) and voila! the Journeys project has begun.

I wanted the 12-month project to be about personal development, teamwork, creative growth and a form of discovery - a journey within a journey within a journey that would then journey from the East Coast, to Chicago, to the west coast, to Arizona, to PA and back again.

The project is now in full swing and by the end of this month, we each have to complete the front cover and the first inside spread of the book. When we are done, we send the book to the next artist on the list . At the same time, we receive another book from the previous artist ready to work on spread number two of that book and so on .... keeping up?

Now what are we to paint? Draw? Collage? In each of the books?

Well, each book has a sub theme, which was submitted by each of the artists:

• Spirit
• The Cadmium Yellow Balloon
• Energy as Movement
• Subconcious Dreamscapes
• Discovery
• Exploration
• Observations and
• Engine

Each artist invites the others to explore their theme in their book continuing from the artwork that appears before it. A journey of art, if you will. Some of the themes are abstract while others evolve a story.

I was so excited to see each of the subjects. I know how differently we all view the world and perceive these subjects, so it will be interesting to see the artwork as a result.

I would like to thank each of the particpants: Elaine, Beth, Carla, Dennis, Daniel, Sylvia and Debbie for joining me on the Journeys project. With any luck at the end of the year, we will be able to celebrate with an exhibit and party for all the world to see.

Stay tuned for more .... and see where our travels lead us ....

3 Comments:

Blogger hollyhatam said...

what a great idea, wish i could be part of it!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Baskerville Hound said...

Leeza, what a brilliant idea to have a book per artist each with a theme- this is a wonderful project and i am excited to see how it progresses.
Well done and good luck!

4:17 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

Just wanted to say have fun with your project. Looking forward to future posts and seeing the books.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home