Monday, February 27, 2006

And the spirit goes on.

Acrylic & Ink

Detail View

February, for me, was the month of the "Spirit Book". The idea is to clear your mind and allow yourself to create whatever comes to you, without thinking or planning in advance.

This was a bit scary, but after I allowed myself to relax and clear my mind, it all came naturally. It took a little trust in myself, but I got there.

I started by cutting 7 oval shapes from card stock and glueing them onto the pages. Then I painted in layers, building up texture over everything. Then I started very freely drawing shapes and objects all over the page. Everything from a ladder to a pear to a dress. The colors are a mixture of a blue-green background, topped with accents of peach & yellow with red line work.

I'm not going to analyze it or pretend that it has any deep hidden meanings. It is simply a reflection of what I was feeling on that particular day. If I were to do this same exercise on a different day, I believe it would have a different color palette, a different layout & different objects.

This painting is a snapshot of one small moment in time.

Can't wait to see what everyone else creates for this because it is such a honest & freeing topic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leezy said...

This is gorgeous Beth. I am thrilled it's in the Spirit book. Sometimes you don't need to analyze, you just gotta do what comes to you and leave it at that. I think it's great. the composition is lovely, can't wait to see it for real. Are you naturally drawn to yellows?

4:14 PM  
Blogger carla said...

These is really, really beautiful! I love the little pieces and how everything comes together in a harmonious composition,. The colors touch me...they seem to be so perfect together. I can imagine how scary this was to begin with...I know I'm nervous just thinking about it... you did a splendid job:>

5:56 AM  
Blogger melko said...

I love your color palette. It really works in both pieces. This will be a great series. I also think the texture is so nice.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home