Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Cadmium Yellow Balloon: Page One

Page One - Acrylic & Graphite

Detail View

Since Miss Leeza likes surprises, I decided to only show half of my page spread.

Normally I go over my pencil lines with ink, but this time I decided to leave it as is. To have the softer lines of graphite be exposed and not cover it up. I was attracted to the texture that showed through these lines. The color palette evolved from the apricot-orange background color... it was the first color that I mixed and then the other colors came after that.

After the painting was done, everything was sealed with a Gloss Medium/Varnish so that none of the colors would smudge through the multiple mailings this book will undergo.

It was sent off to New Jersey on Monday, so Debbie should have it soon! How is everyone else doing?

5 Comments:

Blogger Leezy said...

Ooooh, such a rotten tease!!! I gotta wait until August????!!!! Hahaha, but I can't wait, cos I do love surprises.

This looks great Beth and is the perfect image as a start to the story ...

The pencil lines look awesome and the texture and the colours ... yummy!

Makes me feel happy.

9:14 PM  
Blogger carla said...

Love it, Beth! There is defintely a story here...I am so looking forward to getting it. I llike the contrast between the graphite and the soft warm colors of paint.

6:58 AM  
Blogger melko said...

Love the colors and details. The pencil and texture really are a nice element to this piece. What a great first illustration!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I got it Beth! I love it, it's so great to see it in person. I've started sketching my ideas, I can't wait to add to this book.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Monkey Freak said...

I like the drawing.
Very Nice job.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home