Monday, February 27, 2006

The wheels keep on turning



I had Daniel's "Engine" book this month and it was tougher than I originally thought it was going to be. I had visions of cog wheels in my head and I knew my heart was my engine with my hands as tools and eyes as my flashlights to see the world around me, but I couldn't quite fathom how to put it all into an illustration. I liked the idea of the wheels and the notion of a machine, but I didn't want to be that rigid, sharp-edges-type of a machine. It had to be more fluid, with freedom of movement and energy that could change shape or action according to my moods. That's where the puppet idea came from, the wheel-cogs cranking on the left represent the way I operate on the inside (sometimes fast — sometimes slow). I'm not much of an engineer, but they sort of turn for real. I had tried to attach a band between the top wheel and the puppet mechanism, so that if you turned the bottom wheel it would swing the puppet around etc. It got too complicated and I feared it would make it harder for the next artist to work on her page, so I simplified it down and made it more symbolic. The body parts on the puppet move, though. It was a fun piece to work on and a true test of my patience ...

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth Berst said...

Oh Leeza, it looks just like you! I think it is cute that you made working wheels.

And did you notice that the left side of your page spread is similar to Elaine's left side?

So fun to see! Your work is always so colorful and lively!

8:25 PM  
Blogger carla said...

Wow! I don't know what else to say, except you continue to amaze and delight me! You are on such a highly creative path and I keep seeing new touches each time you post something. It's interesting that this is a similar palette to your last month's pages...

5:58 AM  
Blogger Journeys Artists said...

I didn't realize about Elaine's pages, Beth, but you're right, they are similar. I hope she doesn't think I copied hers ... oooooh, I didn't Elaine, I promise! And Beth, thank you for your kinds words..

Carla, too, thank you. I can't get away from this palette at the moment. I just enjoy working with those colors, I guess it's the Virgo in me, but they are so rich and warm ... and actually, for this piece I purposely went with the warmer palette, to stay away from the idea of my machine being cold or lifeless ...

Cheers!
Leeza

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Leeza, This is great! I love the gears and how dimensional everything looks.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Dennis West said...

Sorry, that last one was from me, I forgot to fill out my info.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

How much fun!! I love it!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home